Strengthening awareness of CCSA's expertise, policy advice and research products among elected officials, key policy makers, the substance abuse field and the public is crucial to addressing the harms associated with alcohol and drugs.
We hold a unique position as the country's foremost authority on issues of substance use. Its legislated mandate and internationally recognized leadership, coupled with its mutually supportive yet arms-length relationship with government, are central to the Centre’s success.
Key public sector engagement activities include:
- Advising federal parliamentarians and public service staff engaged with these issues;
- Participating in parliamentary committees and caucuses on substance use matters;
- Engaging with provincial and territorial governments;
- Developing and nurturing relationships with the media;
- Amplifying stakeholder work through our social media channels;
- Monitoring relevant legislative and regulatory initiatives at federal and provincial levels; and
- Hosting CCSA’s Issues of Substance, our biennial conference for the addictions field, research community and public sector.
Presentations to Parliament include:
- Brief Submitted to the Health Canada Consultation on Regulations for Cannabis Edibles, Extracts and Topicals
- Health Canada Consultation on the Controlled Drugs and Substances Strategy
- Presentation on the Impacts of Methamphetamine Use in Canada to the House of Commons Standing Committee on Health
- Presentation on pre-mixed drinks combining high alcohol, caffeine and sugar content to House of Commons’ Standing Committee on Health
- Presentation to the Senate Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs, Study of Bill C-45, Canadian Cannabis Act
- Presentation to the Senate Standing Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology, Study of Bill C-45, Canadian Cannabis Act
Additional Briefs and Analyses
- Federal Budget 2019: Highlights components relevant to CCSA and the substance use field.